Thursday, September 22, 2011

What do I need to buy for a major tune up and how many miles before changing your timing belt?

I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS with 93k miles and I have not yet had maintenance done accept regular oil changes.What do I need to buy for a major tune up and how many miles before changing your timing belt?Good list above. I just wanted to add that you don't have a timing belt so that is not a concern. You have the 3800 series II V6 and none of those 3.8s, going back over 20 years, ever used a timing belt.What do I need to buy for a major tune up and how many miles before changing your timing belt?Read the long fairly thick book that resides in the glove box. If it is AWOL, call the dealer. You have replaced the air and fuel filters too right?What do I need to buy for a major tune up and how many miles before changing your timing belt?it's time :-) plugs/wires, and all the regular stuff, timing belt I heard? 30000 mi. my moms Lumina froze the top end, it was repaired Big $$, with no gaurentee the bottom half wouldn't go...What do I need to buy for a major tune up and how many miles before changing your timing belt?ok...

timing belt- that should be replaced either 1)- when you notice that the belt is either damaged or starting to crack all over, looking kinda like dry rot. 2)- somewhere in the ballpark of 100,000 - 120,000 miles. whichever is first, of course



as far as tune up parts...

Oil

Oil filter

Air filter

Transmission filter

Transmission fluid

Spark Plugs

Spark Plug wires

cabin air filter (if equipped)

Grease (for ball joints and other grease fittings)

Wipers (if necessary)



You should flush your transmission at roughly 100,000 miles, or as recommended by your mechanic. also, if you are using full synthetic oil (which i believe most of the GM SS's are using them now. )



Hope this helps