Monday, October 24, 2011

My timing belt is broke on my boat motor how do I change it and set the timing.?

The 89 Sun Runner has a volvo 4cyl in board and has a belt that go's to the valve cam and around the water pump. How do I set the timing back once I change it. Thanks.My timing belt is broke on my boat motor how do I change it and set the timing.?Belt replacement is a fairly simple process. There are notches (marks) on the Crankshaft pulley, distributor pulley and the valve timing pulley. There are corresponding marks (stripes) on the belt. There was in my time a short instruction sheet included with the new belt, or you need a basic engine manual. It tells you how to release the belt tension, and align the various marks. You should recheck ign. timing with a timing light after the replacement is made. a broken belt, has no effect on the valve train. Good luck!My timing belt is broke on my boat motor how do I change it and set the timing.?You will need to get a repair manual that has a diagram. It will show where all the marks are that you need to line up. Also find out if this engine is an interference or non interference engine. An interference engine will most likely cause damage to the valve train when a belt breaks. The pistons will hit the valves and bend them. If its an non interference engine you will be ok because there is clearance so they won't hit.