Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner when I change the timing belt?

It's a 98 Ford Ranger 4x2 with the 2.5L 4 cyl. It broke the timing belt. How do I know if I should change the timing belt idler / tensioner when I do the belt? Can I tell if it's bad? Neither my local parts guys or the Ford dealer stocks it, only the belt. Anything else I should be looking at while it's apart?Do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner when I change the timing belt?yes you should always change it, we always do in a dealerDo I need to replace the timing belt tensioner when I change the timing belt?If I where you I would at least purchase the tensioner and then compare it to your tensioner and if it seems even a little bit sloppy or worn I would replace it. If you think its ok you can just return it after the job is done. Also dont forget to replace the waterpump while your at it unless you want to tear it back down before you know it.Do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner when I change the timing belt?Get a timing belt kit which comes with the timing belt,all idler pulley and tensioner.Maybe change the cam and crank seals to prevent oil leak later on,and water pump too.Do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner when I change the timing belt?Because of the wear and tear on the timing belt tensioner I recommend changing the tensioner